.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

 

Getting ready

Before I head off to Delta, I'll leave you with a little material to read up on Hogzilla. According to who you believe, he was somewhere between 800 to 1,000 pounds.

National Geographic did a documentary on the legend; They said he was only about 800 pounds.
Obviously, the guy who killed it said it was, well, what he said it was when he killed it.

Since then in 2004, Internet reports have put monster hogs all over the place and some have been true, others not so much.

One thing though has been certain: Wild Hogs just don't get that big naturally. Pigs of that size, as Field and Stream tells us, are most likely a cross between wild and domestic.

What is this one that was taken in Delta? Who knows, but I'm off to find out. But not before I get a sausage biscuit.

Comments:
Sausage biscuit. I almost missed that. Haha.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
I've been following this story and the more I read the more disgusted I become. Hunting is a sport. You take a gun or bow and arrow and you go into the desert, the woods or where ever ther are wild animals that can run from you and hide from you. HUNTING IS NOT SHOOTING AN ANIMAL 16 TIMES THAT IS TRAPPED INSIDE A FENCE!!!! Did you get that? Just thought I would remind the morons in Alabama what hunting really is. Oh, and the father of this "Great White Hunter" should have know that was no wild boar. I knew and I'm just a woman from California. You should all be ashamed of yourself.
 
I realize this is an old story, but I wanted to thank you for your report on the "huge feral" hog. Yours was one of the only ones that seemed to answer a lot of questions I had in my mind. The main one being if the owners knew that Fred was being sold as game in a canned hunt. I've seen so many articles on the web that go on and on about Fred loving sweet potatoes, being a favorite of the grandchildren, and being raised as a pet, but nothing on how he got to the hunting reserve. A mention was made here or there, but mostly the news seemed to imply that the Blissitts were naive Fred's ultimate fate.

Personally, I find their behavior appalling. I'm not against raising animals for meat or hunting itself, but to publicly declare an animal a pet, raise him as a pet (acclimating and desensitizing him to the presence of humans) and then allow him to be hunted is just barbaric. But these people are second only to the father who allowed this hog to be used as target practice, because they certainly weren't intent on killing it with all those bad shots. The poor thing finally died of blood loss, thank God.

For all you yahoo wanna-be hunters out there: take shooting lessons. Seriously. Nothing disgusts me more than listening to a bunch of idiots brag on and on about game they shot but got away. Once in a while is unavoidable, but when you're wounding animals left and right and still coming home empty handed...maybe it's time for a little "can on a fence" time. Hunting is a sport, and there's nothing sportsman-like about torturing your prey.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home